Did you know that store-bought peanut butter is not allowed to have more than an average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams?
It’s also usually full of corn syrup and/or questionable oils. I found a peanut butter once whose first ingredient was corn syrup. If the first ingredient isn’t peanuts, you’re doing it wrong.
I usually opt for the all natural organic stuff, but it’s super expensive and, let’s face it, you miss the sugar.
You can make this sans sugar if you want, but I like using it. You can add other sweeteners instead of refined sugar, of course. Maple syrup, honey, dates, natural sugar… In fact, you can make this however you damn want. You can even add chocolate to it.
- Pre-roasted peanuts (you can roast your own in an oven or pan, too)
- Extra virgin olive oil (choose whatever oil you enjoy, try to get it organic and cold-pressed)
- Natural sugar
And here’s what you do:
1) Find a food processor. I didn’t have one but there was a partially-functioning blender here so I used that.
2) Throw in all the ingredients and blend first on high, then low. Start with just a bit of oil/sugar/salt and adjust after. (The oil helps it blend. The other things taste good.)
3) If it’s in a crappy blender and nothing’s moving and you don’t want it to be half oil, add a bit of water. Just add a tiny bit at a time. You don’t want it to be watery and flavourless.
4) Taste test again, just to make sure.
That’s it you’re done!
I made oatmeal and stirred some in, then topped it with bananas and more peanut butter. Here’s a low-quality photo of it!